Copyright 2008- 2022 Ralph Lauer. All rights reserved. None of the images on these pages, digitally imbedded images or text, is part of the public domain. Copying or reproducing any without previous permission is prohibited. Questions and information on usage, fees and similar images please contact ralphlauer@gmail.com.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Something New







Here is a true sign that I am spending way more time at home. I notice this long stalk emerging from the center of one of the aloe vera plants I have growing in a pot on my patio. I have been watching it for a few weeks thinking that it really resembled one of the beautiful century plant blooms I so often see in the desert. Yesterday I notice that the blooms were actually weeping a honey like nectar. I asked the green thumb folks that I now if they have ever seen an aloe vera plant bloom before, but it seems as unusual to them as myself.
Not that I am an expert or anything but I have had these plants in pots for more than 10 years and have never seen them do this. Turns out to be a really dramatic flower. It is the thing I learned today, these aloe vera blooms are yellow with a tinge of red and drip a really sweet nectar.
I'm writing that one down.

No comments:

Post a Comment